Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lincoln is {has been} ONE!

I realize I am a bit behind on this post…. Once December arrived it seemed as if someone hit the fast forward button to our lives….
 Thanksgiving, Birthday, Christmas #1, Christmas #2, Christmas #3-#23, New Years, first day of school, first day of daycare (cue meltdown)….and here I am. Finally throwing away the leftover turkey and birthday cake and taking down the Christmas tree. Whew.
 I started planning Linc's birthday around October and thanks to Pinterest his theme changed every week. I finally decided on Yellow (hints of Chevron), Burlap, and Owls. Since my amazing husband is the only one working, I tried to be frugal and attempted making as much as I could. Burlap is cheap yall! A few late nights and glue gun scars later I was ready!

I had this adorable shirt made last minute...Yes, husband, you bought me a sewing maching a few months ago, but there is no way I could've pulled this off ;) I found this on Etsy, through lilthreadzclothing. I highly reccommend her shop....Not only was his shirt here in a snap, but her designs her perfectly simple and oh-so-sweet.


Not yo mama's banana pudding, owl pops, & ONE centerpiece 
On the menu:
Not-yo-mama's Banana Pudding
Fruit kabobs (Pineapple, Blueberries, & Strawberries)
Owl Pops
Cheese & Cracker Tray
Veggie Tray with Ranch
*I obviously made a variation of the owl pops using orange wafers cut into triangles and skipped dipping them in chocolate. Hint: I would use less butter & more marshmellows with these. My owls slowly slid down. Better yet, test them out a month ahead of time....not the night before :)
*The pudding jars are small mason jars with burlap and a small piece of yellow
edging hot glued.
*The centerpiece is simply a 'birdsnest' and woodland accents borrowed from my mom. The '1' I painted with leftover paint from my dining room & the owl is from Hobby Lobby.
 
Happy Birthday burlap bunting, First birthday book & Welcome sign
 

 *The birthday bunting was easy peasy. I traced triangles on burlap, cut them out, and stenciled on letters with felt pen. After painting in the letters I simply hot glued burlap twine onto the back. Boom! I-look-expensive-but-am-super-cheap decoration.
It was so easy, I made two.
Not because I let my husband pick out the font on the first one and I hated it....just because it was easy. You believe me, right?
 
Watch Me Grow Banner
Highchair garland & Floating ONE :)
Easily my two favorites. Look at my little man grow....My heart just melts everytime I look at this (yes, it's still hanging).
*I painted an old frame from the garage & wrapped cardboard with burlap for the backing. The birthday hat I cheated on. I attempted one from a cereal box, totally not worth it. I bought an 8-pack of party hats from the dollar store, wrapped it in burlap & glued a yellow 'fluffy'(?) to the top.
*The highchair garland is scrap burlap & yellow fabric strips tied to twine; the backdrop is streamers. The 'floating ONE' are cardboard letters wrapped in burlap (this took the most time, by far) with owls perched on the top with hot glue. (hanging this sucker was a PAIN, enlist help)
 
First Birthday memory book
 
I have seen this done with a book matching the theme of the party, but I thought using Lincoln's baby book "1st birthday" page was even more perfect. Lucky me, this page is even yellow! The sign reads "Pleas sign here so Lincoln may always remember the celebration of his first year!"

Everything was going perfectly, after presents we quickly moved on to the most important part of the party....the smash cake! My lovely friend Amy M. made Lincoln's cake, another sheet cake & 24 cupcakes that were absolutely delicious! Did I mention I have the most amazing, talented friends?
As I was saying....all was perfect. Lincoln was cheerful and seemed to really be soaking in the attention as we all sang Happy Birthday.
Right as he was diving in, I insisted we derobe him.... Which led to this lovely kodak moment.  
 I guess he loved his shirt as much as mommy did :)
 
Yellow, Burlap & Owl birthday
 The Owl Lanterns were a simple touch I was rather pleased with. My first attempts looked more like puppies than owls, so don't lose hope if you try to tackle this one!

This picture was from our family celebration on his actually birthday during the week. Isn't that a lovely cake with the "chevron" stripe melting down the sides?!



No comments:

Post a Comment